How did Beth leave the show?
John A. Weeks III
2004-04-21 23:22:58 UTC
WGN is showing season 1 and season 2 shows at the moment.
I notice that Beth Davenport shows up on just about every
show. I didn't see her on any of the season 6 and season 7
shows or the movies. How and why did Beth leave the show?

-john-
John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 ***@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com
Adam H. Kerman
2004-04-22 15:58:37 UTC
Post by John A. Weeks III
WGN is showing season 1 and season 2 shows at the moment.
I notice that Beth Davenport shows up on just about every
show. I didn't see her on any of the season 6 and season 7
shows or the movies. How and why did Beth leave the show?
Gretchen Corbett seemed to be the last actress in the studio system. She was
a contract player lent to the production of "The Rockford Files". By the
fourth season, the markup on her services had become unaffordable to Rockford's
producers. She wasn't on too many fourth season episodes and was off the
show after that season. Everybody lost.
Ronald
2004-04-22 23:51:46 UTC
"Adam H. Kerman" > Gretchen Corbett seemed to be the last actress in the
studio system. She was a contract player lent to the production of "The
Rockford Files". By the fourth season, the markup on her services had become
unaffordable to Rockford's producers. She wasn't on too many fourth season
episodes and was off the show after that season. Everybody lost.>>

OK, but at some point she was out of her studio contract, so why didn't she
return in season 6, 7, or the movies? How long was her contract? I mean, she
has not done much work in her career.
ESCLARKSON
2004-04-23 05:15:15 UTC
Ronald: "...why wasn't she in the (Rockford) movies?"

She was at least in one of them, wasn't she? Had shorter hair in a kind of
spikey do; and she was still fairly recognizable as the former dish in the
earlier series.
Adam H. Kerman
2004-04-23 05:59:13 UTC
Post by Ronald
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Gretchen Corbett seemed to be the last actress in the studio system. She
was a contract player lent to the production of "The Rockford Files". By
the fourth season, the markup on her services had become unaffordable to
Rockford's producers. She wasn't on too many fourth season episodes and
was off the show after that season. Everybody lost.
OK, but at some point she was out of her studio contract, so why didn't she
return in season 6, 7, or the movies?
You mean seasons 5 or 6. The show was cancelled in the middle of its
sixth season.

She was in three of the post-series movies: If the Frame Fits, Friends and
Foul Play, and If It Bleeds, It Leads. In fact, "If It Bleeds" was her
last tv credit.
Post by Ronald
How long was her contract?
No idea. All I know is third hand from what we've discussed in this newsgroup.
More information is in Ed Robertson's book.